Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mediterranean Day Dream






Today is Mother's Day, so I should be doing a motherish type post. Nope, not gonna do it. I already posted one for the family on A Glimpse of Us anyway*. Right now I'm in that day dreamy mood.






You see, a while back I was having one of those "getting to know you" chats with Coach. I believe the subject at the time was something along the lines of where I would like to travel in the United States. Really, I'm happy to travel anywhere that I get the opportunity to, I'm not picky (which I think was slightly frustrating for him). I would like to see the ocean and Yellowstone though, but nothing so pressing that it's a must-see.






Then Saturday night a friend mentioned about how he had the strong desire for international travel some time soon. At that point he was leaning towards South America.






Couple that with the facts that I have been casually flipping through a book I purchased from the clearance bin on great philosophers and I love the performing arts.









I have been researching and playing on the Internet all evening (yes, this has been a relaxing Mother's Day!)






Hmmm.... have you figured out yet where I want to go?






Yep, you guessed it (the picture above didn't give it away at all, did it?)






Athens amazes me. It is one of the oldest continually inhibited cities in our world. Known as the cradle of our civilization it is the birthplace of philosophy, democracy, and of course, the Olympics. Not to mention the strong influences on literature and the performing arts.






Which brings us to tonight's interesting little tidbit that I picked up along the way






Thespis of Icaria






Thespis, a Greek poet, is assumed to be the world's first on-stage actor in a written play, basically inventing theatre as we know it today. Thespis won the first documented competition for best tragedy in 534 BC and is now often credited as being the "inventor of tragedy" in the performing arts.












* By the way, Bug, Sis, and I did have a fabulous day wandering through Reiman Gardens in Ames. Bug was especially amazed by the new Dinosaur exhibit and Sis by the Butterfly House.

No comments:

Post a Comment