Friday, March 20, 2009

Remember the past, look to the future

I'm not really sure why I am starting this blog. I have the blog where I post my poetry. I have the blog where I share pictures with my family of what the kids and I are up to (which is sadly outdated I'm afraid). Something deep inside has been bugging me though. I think part of it is that I try so hard to keep both of those blogs organized. If you know me at all, then you know that no matter how hard I try to be organized, I never am. I think the purpose that this blog is going to serve is a place for me just to be random old me. A place where I can just write about what's on my mind, something I've observed, something I've learned, or just nothing in general.

Tonight my thoughts are totally random, flitting from one subject to the next. I am finding comfort in watching March Madness. I don't think I had the pleasure of sitting down to watch one entire televised basketball or baseball game throughout my entire marriage. I suppose I could have stood my ground and changed the channel back every time the Ex flicked the remote while snickering at my dejected look. I also had the power to get up and lock myself in the bedroom to watch, but I didn't.

Now I have caught so many games in the last few days that they are starting to blur together. I've been working hard trying to learn about players that were in grade school the last time I was able to follow the tournaments. I keep at it though, encouraged by memories of watching the journey to the Final Four every year with my Dad. Remembering eating brownie sundaes and helping him mark up his bracket sheet circling winners and crossing out losers.

The most thrilling encouragement of all came from my daughter today. Sis laughed at me when I turned on the Tennessee-Oklahoma State game during my lunch break today. I think there were a few jabs in there about how I must be really impressed by the new guy in my life to watch sports on my hour home. (He is an Assistant High school Coach, so there have been many conversations reminding me of the things I took an interest in years ago). By the time I headed back to work, with Tennessee down by 3, she was sitting on the edge of her seat holding in whoops and hollers.

It is a wonderful feeling as a parent to realize that you are passing along something positive to your child!

No comments:

Post a Comment