Thursday, March 26, 2009

Unplugged

Photo Courtesy of Joel Childs

In less than 12 hours a big change is coming to our house. A little over a year ago, in the midst of the divorce, I decided that we needed to cut some expenses. The first thing to go was the satellite subscription. This made sense to me for several reasons: I hardly ever watch television, the subscription was in the ex's name (and I was done paying his bills), and my children were becoming addicted to Hannah Montana.

So we became unplugged.

For over a year.

It's been a good year. My children read more, converse more, and have no argument about the TV being turned off.

It's time to become plugged again. Because of the switch from analog to digital, we only have two channels that we can currently view. I do have to admit, I am slightly excited to be able to watch HGTV, Discovery, and ESPN at any hour. I suppose I could even handle some small doses of Hannah (although if they turn on Witches of Waverly Place, I'm there!).

The most exciting part for me though, is the sweet little deal the cable company offered. For around $20 a month for the next year, they have included cable Internet. Finally my days of slow dial-up and a phone cord trailing my lap top around the house are through! And finally, finally, finally, I can upload a picture without a two hour wait!

Would someone pass the popcorn, please? I think I'll be catching up on a lot of shows this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment