Sunday, August 16, 2009

Under the Sea - Dream Adventure #2


Blame it on my Dad with his influential love for wilderness and fishing. Blame my Grandparents for providing the grandchildren with the opportunity to stay at their house on the lake for weeks at a time in our youth. Blame my mother for instilling an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and experience in me at a young age.

I have long been a swimmer, even now maintaining my $50 a month YMCA membership just for access to the pool. (lovely small town Iowa with only one year-round accessible pool). I took my fill of science classes in high school. At one time I was on the right track to attend LSU's Marine Biology program, having been accepted into their pre-science program by the time I was a Senior in high school.

Then life happened. Personal situations changed and I decided that I didn't want to raise a baby by myself all the way down in New Orleans while juggling college and work. I don't regret choosing motherhood. I don't regret working my way through the local junior college or the important life lessons I've learned along the way. I wouldn't trade in those last years I had with my parents or the new life I had with my children for anything.

That doesn't mean that my dream of underwater adventures has to die though. I still dream that one day I will take an opportunity to learn how to scuba dive, that I will some how be able to afford the equipment and treat myself to a few water world visits. Maybe Australia, maybe the Johnson atolls or Tarawa, maybe the Bahamas, or the Gulf of Mexico. There are so many underwater territories that I still dream of exploring and I will get there some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment