Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Adventure Day 4 - USS Wisconsin

We consider today as our first official day of vacation. Today we played tourists. I slept in a little bit later than everyone else this morning. I came down the stairs, still in my sweats & sleep in my eyes, to a cheerful greeting from my cousin Ben. I haven't seen Ben since he was very young. He was probably somewhere around the age of 5 or 6 the last time I saw him, if I remember right.

After I had a quick shower the 8 of us (me, Bug, Sis, Dear Cousin Tony, Ashley, Jayson, Uncle Russ, and Ben) headed for breakfast at Ihop. Corny Sis was happy to proclaim that she hopped in Ihop after jumping around on one leg. With full stomachs we headed to see the USS Wisconsin and museum.



Sis and Bug listening to audios about naval uniforms.
USS Wisconsin

The size of these chains amazed me


The turrets

Some sort of ceremony at the next pier



The shells that are shot from the turrets


Ashley, Jayson, & Bug investigating the ship



A Blue Angel display on the way out


I enjoyed the beauty of this fountain and sculpture. Do you think it would fit in my backyard?
I took a photo of this mural for the enjoyment of my artistic friends out there.


We had a very nice day. I learned that the Wisconsin is an Iowa class battleship. Which means that it is one of four battleships that were built with the same specifications, with the USS Iowa built first. Thus all four ships are considered Iowa Class.

Looking over the ship's deck we were able to watch several jellyfish and a few sting rays swim around. I tried to take pictures, but the water was too dark and we were too far away.

This Iowa girl did learn one important lesson today, shorts are a must out here for me. I made the mistake of wearing jeans today. The temperature was only 89 but the humidity about killed me being fully dressed. Tomorrow is definitely a shorts and tank top day for me!

Tonight the kids are stretched out across the living room watching a movie. We plan to rise early and head to King's Dominion for a fun day of riding roller coasters.





No comments:

Post a Comment