Monday, July 20, 2009

Sis became rather bored on the second leg of our journey. So I had her take a few snapshots of the scenery.

We left the hotel in Kentucky around 10:00 (our time) this morning. It was nice to see the forests in the daylight.

About an hour later we entered West Virginia. I, at first, marveled at how beautiful the state was. I still think it's a beautiful state. For the record though, this little Iowa town girl is not a big fan of racing 70 mph down curvy mountain interstates. Nope, give me flat ole Iowa farmland and I'm a happy camper. (yes, Jay, you are right, Iowa is still my top pick).

I was very happy when we entered Virginia and the terrain became slightly flatter again.

For the most part our travels today were uneventful. Bug & Sis slept most of the day while I flipped from one radio station to the next. I did get stuck, and I mean stuck, in rush hour traffic in Richmond. Wow, I thought Des Moines was slow and aggravating during rush hour, but I actually sat in the same spot on the interstate for almost 10 minutes!

We met up with my cousin, his kids, and my uncle around 6 p.m. (once again our time). We joined them for supper at the Golden Corral. Sis was a little bit intimidated by the number of people dining. I was impressed by the number of food choices compared to our locally owned version.

Now the kids are bunked up in the bedrooms with their cousins and I'm ready to call it a night. Tomorrow we head to Norfolk to check out the naval ships and a battleship museum. I am very ready to be impressed as Dear Cousin says I will be. And I am also excited to see the ocean for the very first time in my life.



1 comment:

  1. I am taking the trip (vicariously) with you. Be sure to see Montcello (Jefferson's home) if you get near it. It is a little slice of heaven. P.S. I also hate going down hill on mountainous interstates. really HATE it.

    ReplyDelete