Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dominating the Dominion - Day 5

Day 5 already? Wow. Time is really flying. Today we ventured up to King's Dominion in Doswell. King's Dominion is an amusement park with a ton of roller coasters. I didn't get very many pictures today since I decided to leave my camera in the van. I did manage to get a few shots with my phone when I remembered to though.

This is the Volcano. It is a suspended roller coaster that shoots you out the top of the volcano.

This is the Anaconda. It kind of reminded me of a longer version of the Dragon at Adventureland.


Our large group split up for most of the day with the younger ones accompanied by Uncle Russ. That left me, Sis, and Dear Cousin Tony free to pursue our quest to ride every ride that was labeled a level 5 thrill ride. Sis dubbed us the Ride Warriors for the day.

We started with the Dominator, a 4210 ft floor less coaster. I thought at first that it would easily be my favorite coaster of the day. Next we tried the Anaconda (see above). The Anaconda was the first looping coaster to feature an underwater tunnel. From there we sampled the Volcano, which is one of the fastest suspended coasters in the world, moving at speeds upwards of 60 mph. I really enjoyed that one but not the long wait.


We met the rest of the gang on the White Water Canyon, a Raging River type ride. Nobody escaped less than drenched.


We took a short break from the coasters to try the Crypt and the Avalanche. The Crypt is pretty much the twin of the Splash Over in Adventureland, flipping you forward then back while suspended by water. The Avalanche is one of a kind. It resembles a bobsled run and doesn't seem to actually have a track. The sleds move pretty quickly with just gravity to gain speed.

After a lunch break with the rest of the gang we tried out the Shockwave (a stand-up coaster), the Backlot Stunt Coaster (complete with tunnels and explosions), Flight of Fear (explained in greater detail below), and 3 wooden coasters (Rebel Yell, Grizzley, and the Hurler).

Today I discovered my new favorite coaster the Flight of Fear. The entire roller coaster is inside a very dark building. One has no clue if they are upside down, sideways, or right side up. They state that the ride only gets up to 60 mph. Maybe it was just the pitch black of the building playing tricks on me but it sure seemed at some points to reach closer to 90 mph.


Sis & I, hot, sweaty, & windblown

An old car sitting outside the 50's dinner.
I am sure there are other rides that seated our behinds today, but I am so tired right now that I can't think of any.

I was also very impressed with Bug today. He rode the Backlot Stunt coaster with us and enjoyed it so much that he wanted to do it again.

Tomorrow a little rest & relaxation on the shores of Virginia Beach




No comments:

Post a Comment