Thursday, March 11, 2010

Blessed

Today is my birthday. I had rather expected it to be a quiet day with no fuss. After all, who do I have to fuss over me? I'm pretty alone in my little corner of the world. No parents capable, an only child, no family other than my kids for 90 miles.

Last year I had a celebration. What I figured would be my last "big" celebration. Truthfully I was celebrating so many other things than my birthday last year.

Nope, this year looked like it was going to be quiet and simple. I could handle that. Over the last year I've really come to set my standards high & my expectations low. That way of looking at life has made me very content with whatever comes my way.

So today took me totally by surprise. All day long I've been receiving birthday wishes & greetings, starting with a serenade from Bug & Sis as I went to wake them up this morning.

Sneaky little Sis had a plan up her sleeve. You see, she has apparently been conspiring all week. Sending text messages and emails she managed to pull together a surprise celebration. This isn't the first time Sis has done this. Two years ago she managed to throw a surprise party for me with our friend Wendy helping her out. This year she did it almost entirely on her own.

She says it's payback for the party I threw for her in January.

She got me and she got me good. She distracted me at lunchtime by having me drive her to get her driver license (yes she can drive on her own now, wow). I came home after work to find a great many people in my living room and more stopping in throughout the evening to celebrate with us. Sis made chicken & dumplings for supper and purchased a cake.

I feel extremely blessed and loved tonight to be remembered by so many friends and by all the hard work that my children went to to make my day so special.


My pretty princess cake


I was "crowned" right before Sis and I got into a frosting fight


Now I'm going to go relax with my present (and wash the frosting out of my hair)

Thank you to all that made this day so special :)

2 comments:

  1. Aww that's sweet. You are indeed blessed. A very happy belated birthday to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hilary :)

    I hope there is some good news coming on the lake front soon? Such a tragedy :( I certainly hope they throw the book at him. That kind of insensitivity to the beauty in our world deserves much stricter punishment than I'm sure he'll get, but hopefully it will be enough to make him either change his ways or close his business.

    ReplyDelete