Monday, March 22, 2010

My Week on the Web

Every week Hilary over at The Smitten Image posts an interesting array of her favorite blogs for that week. I get a big chuckle out of quite a few of those posts and others have challenged me to think a little deeper.

I admit, I have way too much idle time on my hands during the week.

But reading blogs and other entertaining articles helps me to pass the time while I'm trying to look busy when stuck at the office with no work on my desk (Speaking of which, isn't it about time you had your car serviced?). And it's a lot easier to hide than say a book or knitting.

I thought it would be fun to take an occasional look at what exactly it is I peruse on the Internet throughout the week. Although I'm sure I can't hold myself to be as dedicated as Hilary to a scheduled format. You all know the free-spiritedness of my thought process... it's just not gonna work.

So without further adieu here are the articles and blogs that caught my fancy this week:

Foursquare Has anyone joined this yet? I am thinking it could be fun and a great advertising tool, but how does one guard themselves from stalkerish type people? I will admit, I am not very keen on being followed around town by people that I don't want to keep company with (the ones I do want to keep company with are an entirely different matter however).

Stop and Smell the King Tenderloin The name of this article made me think of a tenderloin quest a friend of mine has been on for several years, sadly that thinking was way off track. It was interesting to read an outsiders view of our state. While I didn't learn anything new, it did make me think of a few towns I haven't visited in a very long time. Another friend of mine is on a quest with his wife to visit every county seat in our state. I wonder if I can convince him to share his stories in a travel blog?


MentalFloss
is one of my all-time favorite websites. This article peaked my interest as I have been suffering from a terrible bout of insomnia for the last week or so. I'm glad I found a little relief with a warm bath and glass of wine a few nights ago, maybe I should try that again tonight. Sounds much better than slug entrails!

Mentos Gum I love this commercial on so many levels. I spent quite a bit of time on the Mentos website trying to get the link to this commercial to work. It wouldn't play for me, but I was able to find it on Youtube instead.

Bed of Nails Poetikat Kat Mortensen has done it again, another poem that strikes to the heart. I love the visual aspect she has given this poem, making each line strike like the nail it is.

Yellowstone Valley Inn I am seriously considering taking the kids to Yellowstone for our summer vacation. The cabins at this inn are calling me. The area looks beautiful and the price just may well fall into our budget. does anyone else have any other suggestions to make the trip affordable and memorable?

And the Angels Sing Japanese I developed a love for Glenn Miller back in 9th grade thanks to an amazing Band Instructor. Every year, around late fall to early winter just when marching band would end and concert band would start, I pull out my jazz and Big band cd's. You have to be a band geek or a lover of the big sound to understand why I found this both humorous and wrong on so many levels. I do have to give her credit for the attempt and the courage, but man, they don't even have a clarinet. Miller himself added reeds in the late 30's.

So there you have it, my small amusements and entertainments for the last week. I hope you enjoyed my randomness.

No comments:

Post a Comment